Wednesday, August 13, 2008

This Isn't My Blog

My job at work is to make sure "official messages" between the organization, staff, customers, board members, government officials, stakeholders, and of course, the media, is very clear and concise. After I gather information from a variety of resources and subject matter experts, I create and shape these messages, or help other people do the same. That being said, I would be lying if I said the idea of blogging didn't make me a little nervous. Sure, I'm a regular blog reader, but I rarely comment. Where's the order? Where's the control? Who exactly is the SME?

I came up with a way to gracefully let go of the responsibility of making sure only the best light is shined on the topics we may cover. It was really a matter of getting my brain wrapped around the fact that this is not MY blog. It's everyone's blog. Everyone who reads this blog has the opportunity to comment, good or bad. This is a perpetual conversation, and I love talking to people and learning new things! Sharing ideas, opinions, experiences, suggestions... I'm pretty darn excited about this now! That means I have a new job by virtue of this medium... Being a gracious hostess. =) Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

HeleneB said...

Wow! what great thoughts. Blogging really is about the conversation and in order to have good ones you definitely do need "gracious hosts"

After reading your first post, I;d say you seem like a natural.

Anonymous said...

Good luck with this! I think that the best blogs that have the most active and involved participants are actually where the "author" is more of a "hostess" or "moderator." But in CR&D I'm sure that you are familar with shaping the direction of discussion and the way things appear. It seems much less in what you write, then in what you allow to be posted and how you respond.